STATEMENT OF POLICY AND PROCEDURE
Section: NLLS Employee(s) | Chapter: Vision and Policy Statements | Page(s): 2
Subject: TRAVEL | Sec 1, 4A
Reviewed: 2022/07/08 | Revised: NEW | Effective: 2022/08/26
Staff members at Northern Lights Library System (NLLS) may be required to travel for work. Reasons for travel may include, but are not limited to, site visits to our Member Libraries, or professional development opportunities. This policy is applied at the discretion of the Executive Director or designate according to job needs. This policy does not apply to regular delivery routes.
NLLS follows the allowance rates outlined in the current Travel, Meal, and Hospitality Expenses Policy of the Alberta Government and current federal mileage rate (CRA).
Travel for Work Purposes
- Prior to travel, staff members must submit their travel plans and projected expenses to their department manager or director for approval.
- Department managers will work with staff to approve travel plans based on the best economic value for NLLS. Managers may not exceed approved budgets without prior approval of the Executive Director.
Use of Personal Vehicles for Work Purposes
- Staff members who use their personal vehicle for work purposes must carry business-use insurance on their vehicle. The cost of this will be reimbursed annually by NLLS in accordance with the Travel, Meal, and Hospitality Expenses Policy of the Alberta Government.
- Staff members will be compensated at the current federal (CRA) mileage rate when using their personal vehicles for work purposes.
- For travel within NLLS’s geographical territory, distance calculations will begin and end at the staff member’s place of residence. If the staff member resides outside of NLLS’s geographical territory, compensation will begin and end at the intersection of HWY 16 and HWY 216.
- For travel outside of NLLS’s geographical territory, distance calculations will begin and end at the staff member’s place of residence, regardless of location.
- If the residence of the employee is outside Alberta, mileage payments for travel outside of NLLS’s geographic boundaries will commence at the Alberta border.
Use of Rental Vehicles for Work Purposes
- When travelling for work, and when economically beneficial to NLLS, staff members may be asked to use a rental vehicle instead of their personal vehicle.
- The utilization of rental vehicles by staff members for work purposes is subject to prior approval by their department manager.
- The total cost of the rental vehicle, including fuel expenses, must not exceed the estimated cost of using a personal vehicle.
- Rental vehicles must be purchased with the Northern Lights Library System corporate credit card to ensure adequate insurance coverage.
1. When travelling for work and an overnight stay is required, NLLS will provide compensation for hotel accommodations.
2. All overnight stays are subject to the prior approval of the department manager or director unless extraordinary in nature, such as inclement weather or road closures.
3. When travelling for work across multiple days, and when economically beneficial to NLLS, staff members may be asked to use overnight accommodations instead of driving back to the office or their place of residence each night.
4. Staying at a family or friend’s home in lieu of staying at a hotel while travelling for Northern Lights will be reimbursed at a rate of 50 dollars a night.
Meals and Incidentals
- Meals and incidentals will be calculated at the rates outlined in the Travel, Meal, and Hospitality Expenses Policy of the Alberta Government.