How do I help patrons with eResources?
We have recently experienced an uptick in patrons reaching out to Northern Lights HQ directly, seeking eResource help. Direct patron support is outside the scope of what Northern Lights is able to offer to member libraries. What we CAN offer is support for library staff who are struggling with eResource troubleshooting, so that your own skills grow, and you are consistently able to support your patrons directly. If you run into a challenge while helping a patron with library eResources, and you have exhausted the troubleshooting help below, please submit a ticket and we will be happy to Help YOU help your patron. Forwarding customers to our main line creates frustration, triangulation, and a poor customer experience for them, because often a consultant is not able to jump into a call with them, as we are busy serving our member library staff and managers. Our goal is always to offer our managers support that is meaningful to your needs and will help you to serve your patrons as efficiently as possible. To do this, we will always endeavor to Train the Trainer, rather than train the monkeys. Did I just refer to library patrons as monkeys? Analogies are such fun!
Not sure where to start when it comes to troubleshooting eResources?
- There are some helpful troubleshooting resources in our Knowledge Base. One of the most popular ones is our KOBO/ Overdrive article
- Most of our eResources have their very own troubleshooting guides on their local websites—these are kept up to date by the service provider and are extremely user friendly!
- Do a quick Google search for specific error messages, or device errors to see whether this is a common error and what solutions others have tried that may fix the problem.
- Double check that the device itself has not been discontinued or is running an out-of-date operating system—these are common reasons for eresource malfunctions.
- Have you tested your skill with the Northern Lights eResource Feats of Strength? This is a great way to ensure you have a working knowledge of our current eresources. Give it a go!
Traditional IT Help Measures to Take:
- Have you tried restarting it?
- Have you checked that the patron’s card info is up to date? This includes:
- pin is only 4 numerical digits,
- address check is not overdue,
- card is renewed,
- account number matches what is entered in the device.
- Uninstall the app, restart the device, re-install the app, restart the device
When member library patrons do find their way to us, we will always support you by creating a ticket for the patron and copying you and the patron on it, so that we can help you to find solutions that get your patron connected, without overstepping our role and taking matters out of your capable hands. We gotchu!